Dieting

For the second time in my life I'm going to try dieting. Last time I did this I was working full time, going to school full time, and planning a wedding. I did it for a month and gave up when I lost only 7 pounds and was starving all the time. I don't think I did it right and also I wasn't in the right mindset. 

 
Ok so now I'm seriously going to try to do this right this time. My husband's school is doing "the biggest loser" so he's been dieting since March. There's about $300 a person going to the team that wins and he has three more weeks left. So this past week he's been trying really hard and I decided I would do it too. Couldn't hurt to lose some of the newlywed 15 could it? 

A little background is probably in order. I am a chef. I went to culinary school and loved every second of it. The two things you will hear most often at culinary school are: "fat equals flavor" and "add salt and it will taste better." These phrases are 100% true but not kind to your waistline. Those two things are also the reason food in a restaurant tastes better than food at home (most times-not always). The chef has figured out the balance of how much salt brings out the flavor perfectly and how much puts it over the edge and makes it taste salty. I am pretty close to mastering this and now I have to unlearn it to cook healthy food. 

So last week I attempted to make a stir fry with beef and sugar snap peas using only 2 tbsp of Soy sauce and 1 tbsp of Sake. This ended with me having a meltdown and then saying f it and adding about 2 tbsp of Soy sauce and 1 tbsp of Oyster sauce (the dark brown salty sauce used to make beef w/ broccoli). My husband had to talk me down because I was freaking out that I am a chef and can't make it taste good. He has to tell me that healthy food doesn't necessarily taste good and that it's not me. So for now, I'll be researching more healthy recipes. Wish me luck; I think I'll need it. 

1 comments:

h said...

Good Luck, Bri! Its a hard battle!

Followers

About Me

My photo
Culinary school grad figuring out how to cook for two people semi-healthy. After learning how to cook in huge batches with tons of butter and salt, this proves to be a challenge. Learning how to be a wife and homeowner.

About